Saturday, September 10, 2011

spread hope like fire

i have a hard time with people who speak above me; people who talk as though what they are saying is superior over what i have to say.  in turn, this leads me to refrain from talking about myself.  isn't that backwards?  i don't want to compete to hear my own voice, and i don't want to feel as though what i have to say isn't important by having it pounded down by someone else.  i'm saying this as though i'm really offended right now, which i'm not, i just have become so aware of people doing this to other people.  but now i can't decide what's appropriate to do in this kind of situation:  do i just get louder and louder until my point is made or my voice is acknowledged?  do i smile and nod and let the "conversation" go the way it will, thereby rarely sharing my own opinion?  when is it safe to blurt when i want to blurt, be blunt if i feel the need, defend my points, or likewise?  i don't know when/where is safe to say what i truly want to say; i don't know when i'm being rude or talking more than necessary.  i'm confused by the whole thing:  leave the power of conversation in other people? let them ask me and only then do i speak?  is that the most polite thing i can do?  holy crap, personal awareness.

"say what you think, not what you think you should say"

No comments:

Post a Comment